Apply for the First Scholars Program
The First Scholars™ Program is available to incoming first-time, full-time freshmen whose parents have no more than two years of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree. Participation in First Scholars™ includes a four-year renewable scholarship, half disbursed in the fall semester and half disbursed in the spring semester. Students can receive the award depending on eligibility requirements for a total of 4 years if program requirements are met.
This scholarship is open to Washington residents who enroll at Washington State University - Pullman full-time during the 2017-2018 academic year. The program requires that the recipients live on campus in Gannon-Goldsworthy Residence Hall for the 2017-2018 academic year, and outside of the family home the following three academic years thereafter.
To be considered for a scholarship from the First Scholars Program, you must:
- Apply, and be admitted to Washington State University - Pullman.
- Be a first-generation student, which for this program means that your household parent(s) or guardian(s) has/have no more than two years of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree.
- Be an incoming first-time, full-time freshman.
- Plan to be enrolled on the WSU Pullman campus until graduation.
Demonstrate financial need.
- Be a Washington resident, or for Native American students, be eligible for in-state tuition based on tribal affiliation.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen eligible for in-state student tuition (DACA/HB-1079 ok).
- Intend to live on campus your freshman year, and apply to live in Gannon-Goldsworthy Residence Hall, our first-generation residence hall (when you confirm at WSU).
- Complete the WSU Scholarship Application by January 31, 2017.
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) by the priority enrollment date.
- Complete the Student Strengths Inventory™, a non-academic assessment of your potential for success. (A link will be sent to you via email after your application is submitted and eligibility is verified).
- Be willing to fully participate in the First Scholars program and activities for up to 4 years.
First Scholars will be selected based on our eligibility criteria and the results of the SSI. If you're selected, First Scholars will provide you with opportunities to maximize your success in college and help you create an individual plan to guide you.
Students selected to be a First Scholar must:
- Agree to enroll in a designated course for First Scholar Scholarship recipients during the fall 2017 semester;
- Agree to participate in 4 years of progressive programming;
- Participate in 4 years of service projects and agreed upon campus activities/workshops;
- Agree to attend designated meetings with First Scholars Program staff;
- Participate in the peer mentoring program;
- Transition to leadership roles as upperclassman;
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
As a First Scholar, your scholarship can be renewed each year, for a maximum of eight semesters, if you meet the following renewal criteria:
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA at the end of each semester.
- Maintain at least 12 credits each semester on the Pullman campus.*
- Complete 24 graded semester credits by the end of spring semester.
- Continue enrollment on the Pullman campus.
- Demonstrate your commitment and full involvement in all First Scholars activities.
*Please keep in mind that this scholarship only covers four years, and taking 12 credits per semester does not necessarily keep you on pace to graduate in four years. In order to stay on track to graduate in four years, you should aim to earn an average of 30 credits per year. Consult your academic advisor to verify the exact number of credit hours needed to earn your particular degree.
Thank you for your interest in the First Scholars Program at Washington State University! The application deadline for the 2017-2018 cohort has passed. If you need more information, please contact us at email@example.com or (509) 335-3167.
All First Scholars are required to live in Gannon-Goldsworthy Residence Hall for the entire duration of their freshman year.
Scholars may invite their preferred roommates to live in Gannon-Goldsworthy, too. Both students should select GG as their #1 housing choice in their housing application.